Michele Grgas Thomas The Triplicate

The year was 1959. I was 9 years old. The biggest event in my world was the completion of the house my parents built, which meant it was time for Mom to make the purchase she had talked about for months.

I remember accompanying her to the piano store in downtown Los Angeles. True to her style, my mother had done her homework and knew the brand and type of piano we were there to buy. It must have taken her a long time to save $975 for the French Provencal upright piano in fruitwood. I had seen her stash dollars into the tin in her closet, preparing for this day.

There were several reasons why my mother encouraged me to play the piano. She always wanted me to have the things that her parents couldn't afford to give her. Mom loved all kinds of music, but thought the piano was the perfect instrument for a young girl.

I also think Evelyn Zeyp had something to do with it. Evelyn's husband

Rudy had worked with my dad and they remained friends after Rudy

retired. The older couple visited us often on Sunday afternoons and

invited us to dinner at their home several times. Evelyn gave me

trinkets: costume jewelry, hankies and a tiny embroidered doll that I

still have. "She's very special," my Mom used to say about Evelyn.

What I remember about Evelyn's story is this: Evelyn met Rudy when she

worked as a cashier at a movie theatre. After they married she became

pregnant but suffered a miscarriage. She fell into a deep depression

and was diagnosed as having a nervous breakdown. She was committed to a

mental hospital and treated with shock therapy.

The electric shocks left Evelyn scarred. She had huge gaps in her

memory. She said that when she came home from the hospital people

pointed at her and said "nuts" and "cuckoo" so she stayed at home and

rarely ventured out. She had forgotten a lot of things, but not how to

play her piano. She pulled the drapes shut and played her piano every

day for hours. She played for us when we visited her.

Mom told me I should learn to play the piano so that I had something

that no one could ever take away from me. So, from the time I was 9

until I graduated from high school, I took lessons every Thursday

afternoon. My instructor, Hal Pruden, had been a big band pianist and

arranged music for Liberace's TV show. He taught from his own unique

arrangements of show tunes and popular songs. My mother loved to listen

to me practice, no matter how badly I played.

My piano crossed the ocean twice, from Los Angeles to Honolulu and then

from Honolulu to Portland. It was moved four times in Grants Pass

before it settled into my last home there, which I sold in 2001.

Impulsively, I agreed to sell my piano to a couple that wanted it for

their granddaughter.

Saturday I was driving down Ninth Street on my way home from Rumiano's

and spotted a piano sitting in the middle of a driveway. There was a

handmade "for sale" sign attached to it. Within an hour the piano was

in my living room.

The friendly man from the Azores who sold me a piano proudly told me

about his daughters who had learned to play on it. He smiled and his

eyes sparkled as he talked about his girls, now grown. Frank decided it

was time to let the piano go.

Saturday night I sat at the piano and tried to remember just one tune,

but my fingers couldn't find their way. I started to panic. What if I

couldn't play anymore? Then Rick brought out a book of sheet music. We

played together for about an hour, Rick on his ukulele and me on the

new old piano. Evelyn was right. I could never forget how to play. And

Mom's gift from 50 years ago is something no one will ever be able to

take away.