Adam Spencer, The Triplicate

A break-in and scuffle with law enforcement in Klamath Glen resulted in several charges Monday.

Christopher Scott Moore, 26, was booked into the Del Norte County Jail on suspicion of burglary, resisting arrest, battery on a peace officer with injury and assault on a peace officer.

Dispatch received a call around 10 a.m. Monday about a man forcing his way into a residence on Maple Road in Klamath Glen and claiming that he lived at the residence, said sheriff's Commander Bill Steven.

Moore's behavior was so "bizarre" that the resident of the home, Peter Fishback, left the home to call police, Steven said.

Before sheriff's Sgt. Gene McManus arrived on the scene, dispatch

received a phone call from Moore himself, who was stating that a Yurok

warden was telling him there was a warrant for Moore's arrest, Steven

said. Dispatch confirmed the arrest warrant, which was for failure to

appear on a theft charge.

When McManus arrived he saw Moore speaking with Yurok warden Carl

Anderson, and he asked Moore to explain the situation, Steven said.

Moore again claimed to live at the residence, then ran back inside

the residence yelling, "Go get a search warrant and SWAT!" and slammed

the door behind him, Steven said.

When McManus forced the door open and attempted to seize Moore, he

was struck at least three times in the face, Steven said. The two men

were grappling and exchanging blows for a few minutes, and at one point

in the hallway of the home, Moore pushed his feet against one wall to

pin McManus between Moore's back and the opposite wall, Steven said.

Anderson attempted to pepper spray Moore while he fought with

McManus, but it didn't calm him down. Toward the end of the skirmish,

Moore took Anderson's pepper spray canister and sprayed Anderson and

McManus in the face and upper body, Steven said.

Using a compliance hold, McManus was able to get Moore under control, Steven said.

"It was a very violent fight though," Steven said.

McManus had several cuts and had his head X-rayed for injuries, but he was able to return to work Tuesday, Steven said.

Reach Adam Spencer at