Anthony Skeens, The Triplicate

Three students are sent to hospital after eating them

Three Crescent Elk Middle School students were taken to the hospital after they ate cookies laced with THC on Friday morning, authorities and school officials said.

An 11-year-old student brought a bag of cookies onto the school bus from Klamath and passed them out to some of her peers, said sheriff's Commander Tim Athey.

It was discovered the cookies had an extra ingredient after three children became nauseous while in class, Athey said.

The cookies were then tested and the results indicated they contained THC, the active ingredient in marijuana, Athey said.

While three children were taken to the hospital, there was likely one other student who ate the cookies, said Del Norte School District Superintendent Don Olson.

The parents of the children were notified and some were sent home after being treated and released from the hospital, Olson said.

He said school officials are still trying to get more information from the 11-year-old girl's parent regarding the incident.

The girl is likely to be disciplined, but Olson declined to give details of what that will entail.

It remains unclear whether the girl knew there was THC in the cookies, Athey said.

"The other kids didn't know," said Athey. "They just thought they were chocolate chip cookies."

The Sheriff's Office Felony Investigations Unit is also attempting to contact the young girl's parent, Athey said.

It's unclear at this point how many cookies were in the bag and where she got the bag from, Athey said.

There were two cookies left that were used to test the ingredients, Athey said.

Reach Anthony Skeens at