A Crescent City man was convicted in a jury trial last week after authorities found him with a knife.
Brian H. Martinez, 36, faces the possibility of multiple years in prison for possession of a dagger.
But before state voters changed the Three Strikes Law last year, he could have faced life in prison, said District Attorney Jon Alexander.
"Mr. Martinez has a history of brutal and violent behavior," said Alexander.
Martinez had two prior felony convictions against him that were counted as "strikes."
He was convicted of assault with a deadly weapon in 2010 and making criminal threats in 2000, according to court documents.
His latest conviction would have qualified as a third strike if the criteria hadn't changed with voter approval of Proposition 36 last year, Alexander said.
The case stems from a Jan. 4 incident, in which a sheriff's deputy was called to a fight on the 200 block of Grand Avenue, court documents state.
As the deputy was approaching the area, a truck flashed its lights at his vehicle. The truck was pulled over and Martinez was found in the back, documents state.
Martinez was arrested on suspicion of being a parolee at large and was subsequently searched. The deputy found a small blade without a handle along with a knife, documents state.
It was never stated that Martinez used either blade during the alleged altercation, documents state.
The trial lasted about two hours and was prosecuted by Deputy District Attorney Annamarie Padilla.
Reach Anthony Skeens at firstname.lastname@example.org.