Anthony Skeens, The Triplicate

72-year-old confronted them at her bedroom door

When burglars tried to enter her bedroom Monday morning, a 72-year-old Crescent City woman scared them off.

"I think I surprised them, but I also had a gun in my hand," she said.

She was sleeping when she heard someone in her house on the 3000 block of Lower Lake Road around 8 a.m.

"They just broke in through the garage door and entered the house and came upstairs and tried to open my bedroom door, which was locked," she said. "I opened it and they turned around and ran."

They may have taken some small items, but nothing of significant value, said the woman, who requested anonymity.

The burglars ran to a get-away car, where a third suspect was waiting, sheriff's Commander Tim Athey said.

The burglary was reported around 8:20 a.m., and a BOLO - "be on the lookout" - alert was issued. Sheriff's Sgt. Gene McManus encountered the vehicle on Malone Road, Athey said.

A short pursuit ensued before the suspects fled on foot, Athey said.

McManus was able to capture one of the men suspected in the burglary and the woman who had been waiting in the car, but the third suspect eluded him, Athey said.

Around 8:48 a.m., a person who had been listening to a police scanner called into the Sheriff's Dispatch Center and reported the third suspect was in a driveway near the caller's house on Malone and then ran into a barn, Athey said.

Authorities secured the area and apprehended Donald K. Webb, 32, of Crescent City, without incident, Athey said.

Webb and the other two suspects, Zachariah Dungan, 32, and Candice Swain, 26, both from Crescent City, were arrested on suspicion of burglary and accessory to a crime.

The vehicle was confiscated and authorities are checking whether it is stolen, Athey said.

"They have a long history of victimizing the community," Sheriff Dean Wilson said of the three.

Almost three years ago, Webb pleaded guilty to threatening a witness in connection with the hit-and-run death of 15-year-old Josh Lacy.

Webb was one of three defendants in the Lacy case, and authorities never said who they believed was driving the vehicle that struck Lacy while he was waiting for a school bus on Jan. 12, 2007, on U.S. Highway 101 north of Crescent City. The Del Norte High School freshman died at an Oregon hospital.

Lacy's death touched a chord in the community. Some cars driven around Crescent City still bear emblems with his name and football jersey number in his memory.

Dungan was sentenced to state prison for three years in 2009 for being a felon in possession of a firearm.

Reach Anthony Skeens at