Let me get this straight: $20 million for the sewer out flow pipe plus $42.5 million and counting for the sewer plant for a minimum of $62.5 million. According to the Triplicate (andquot;Residents call for vote on rate hike,andquot; Sept. 5), more than 5,800 notices were sent out to property owners. Does it make sense to saddle 5,800 people with that kind of debt?
Let's look at it from a different perspective. The pluses for the new sewer plant and the hoped-for growth it might engender are:
1. Real estate developers will profit
2. Businesses may profit if growth occurs
3. Some new low-paying service jobs may be created
The minuses are:
1. Increased sewer rates
2. Increased traffic
3. Increased noise
4. Increased waits at local businesses.
5. Increased wear-and-tear on the roads.
6. Increase in demand on local law enforcement and courts.
It seems pretty simplecosts outweigh the benefits. Don't do it. Write these protest letters now.