Editor's note: Longtime Del Norte County resident Chuck Blackburn's column appears every four weeks.

One of the things that has kept me in Del Norte County has been its people and the lasting friendships that were initiated over the years.

Three such friends are Ed Hughes, Jack "The Swede" Husberg and Larry Amos. We were the four musketeers who guided together on the Klamath River in late summer and early fall. My buddy, Larry Amos, teacher-coach and, athletic director, is still alive and kicking as am I.

This story is a tribute to Ed Hughes, who was born in 1906 in Crescent City. His father, Edward C. Hughes, ran a mill on Requa Road where Panther Creek Lodge used to be but was destroyed in the 1964 flood.

Ed started commercial fishing in 1922 and then guiding salmon

fishermen on the Klamath and Smith rivers after that time. Ed's dad was

involved along with Ed in the commercial gillnetting operation with the

Klamath Packing Association Cannery located below Requa Inn. This all

came to a halt in 1934 when gillnetting was abolished on the Klamath.

R.D. Hume had the first cannery and had his own small hatchery to

help replenish fish stocks. Hume also had a similar operation on the

Smith River. There was no limit to tourists fishing salmon during the

commercial season, but when the commercial season terminated, a limit of

five fish per day was imposed on the sports fishermen.

Ed spent some of the time commercial fishing in the ocean, but was

also involved in the construction of the current Highway 101 to Klamath.

The construction camp was at Big Tree Park, just south of Trees of

Mystery. A construction camp had cabins and a cookhouse provided by the

contractor, J.E. Johnson, from 1928-1931. Klamath (Bears) Bridge was

damaged in the 1955 flood and breached in the big flood of 1964.

Ed shared a great story about driving a truck for this job. They

drove Sterling dump trucks from 1928 through 1930 that had solid rubber

tires and chain drive to the rear wheels. The company bought new

Sterlings the next year in 1931 that had pneumatic tires (air-filled

tubes) and modern transmissions. Ed was elated to be able to drive these

great vehicles, but after looking at the dynamics of their work, they

took out the front windshields so that when they had to back up to dump a

load, they would climb onto the hood and put their feet through the

opening, reach the pedals and steer the very upright steering wheel.

They found this to be effective and fun.

After leaving Del Norte for a few years, he returned home and guided

until his death. Guides earned $10 a day in the 1930s, $20 a day in the

1940s and $25 a day in the 1950s.

Ed, Jack, Larry and I all guided together out of Alvin and Juanita

Larson's Requa Resort for years. Ed and Jack also fished out of Ship

Ashore Resort in the fall and winter. Some of the celebrities that Ed

guided were Fred MacMurray, Leo Gorcey, Earl Hamner, Bill and Carmen

Clothier, Nick "The Greek" and Dave Hammond, along with Amos of "Amos

and Andy."

Each June before the summer season started, I would pick up Ed, Larry

and Jack and go "look at the river." There were the early fishermen who

came up to the Klamath in June to get set up for the summer and get out

of the heat of Southern California and Arizona.

We would go down every week to have breakfast with Alvin Larson and

our fellow Yurok guides. We were all fighting the fishing bug waiting

for the first guiding parties and the opportunity to really catch fish

and let out various Klamath yells. Ed and Larry were motor boat guides

and Jack and I were rowboat guides. All were great successes in their

styles of fishing.

It was difficult for Ed to name any singular highlight in his life

because he had so "damned many." Ed's largest salmon caught over his

years of fishing was a 52-pounder. When it was rumored that Ed might

still be gillnetting during the twilight hours (illegal), game warden

Jack McKeller said, "Hughes, I'm going to make you an honorary game

warden to keep you straight."

Ed attributed his good health and vitality to Del Norte County

weather, clean air, lots of exercise, lots of fish, garden vegetables

and an occasional "horn," and in his younger days a visit to the famous

"Hughes Willer Patch." I always looked at Ed as the "salt of the Earth."

Larry Amos and I were always greeted by a low monotone voice from Ed,

"Hello, lad."

Ed passed away sitting at his table having a "horn" on Christmas

night. Larry Amos received a call from Ed earlier that evening about his

nice Christmas with family in 1997. What a wonderful way to go for our

dear friend. I was honored to give a eulogy with Ed Jr. and Denis, his

wife, at the Hughes' home off Old Mill Road. Many friends attended.

Over the years since Ed's passing, I know I have heard a muffled

voice saying, "Hello, lad."

Chuck Blackburn can be reached at 954-7121.