Prosecutors drop other cases against man found guilty on felony charges

December 05, 2006 12:00 am

Two cases against Edwin Stull, who last week was found guilty by a jury on drug and weapons charges and is facing up to 14 years in prison, were dismissed by the Del Norte County District Attorney's office Monday.

Deputy District Attorney Ben McLaughlin said he dismissed the two felony charges — felon in possession of a firearm and unauthorized use of a motor vehicle — based on an cost-benefit analysis.

The most time Stull would have ended up serving, if found guilty on both charges, would be eight months, McLaughlin said.

"After speaking with defense counsel and the judge, it was the general consensus that the two remaining cases were the least of Mr. Stull's worries," he said. "I don't think (eight months) added much to the equation, as he's looking at 14 years already.

"I don't think the costs that would have been incurred by our office (by having two jury trials) weighed in favor of an additional eight months in jail."

Stull is scheduled to be sentenced Dec. 21.