A faulty flue may be the culprit

By Jessica Cejnar, The Triplicate May 08, 2013 04:33 pm

A firefighter watches from the partially burned roof Monday.
A firefighter watches from the partially burned roof Monday. Del Norte Triplicate / Bryant Anderson
A faulty flue may be responsible for a fire that sent a Dundas Avenue man to the hospital for treatment of smoke inhalation Monday afternoon.

The residents were using their fireplace when they noticed flames spreading across the ceiling, said Crescent City Fire Chief Steve Wakefield. The homeowner, Steve Young, was taken to Sutter Coast Hospital for observation, he said.

“He definitely had heavy smoke exposure and needed to be checked out,” Wakefield said.

Firefighters were called to the scene just before 2:30 p.m. When they arrived, white smoke filled the home at 1801 Dundas Ave. just off Parkway Drive. Firefighters sprayed water on the roof and removed charred pieces of ceiling and insulation.

Greg Young, who shares the structure with his parents, said he was in the house with his 1-year-old son Jesse when he saw flames coming out of a seam in the ceiling. He was able to get his son out of the house, and got his neighbors to call 911.

Flames were pouring out of the roof when Chris Beck, Young’s neighbor, arrived. Beck said he put the fire out with three fire extinguishers. He then cut the charred pieces of ceiling down.

“We were spraying the hell out of it,” he said. 

Beck offered Young two travel-trailers to stay in and said he would help repair the fire damage.

Reach Jessica Cejnar at This e-mail address is being protected from spam bots, you need JavaScript enabled to view it