Neighbors to a house fire in the 2200 block of Hodge Avenue kept the blaze at bay with a garden hose Wednesday until firefighters arrived.

Crescent City Fire and Rescue Deputy Chief Curt Watkins said flames were coming out a window of the house in Bertsch Tract when fire personnel arrived. Mutual aid came from Pelican Bay State Prison and CAL FIRE with one engine each. CCFR had three engines on scene.

Watkins said firefighters were able to knock the fire down and put it out in about 10 minutes.

The home sustained fire damage to the back bedroom and bathroom, as well as smoke damage throughout.

Watkins said investigators suspect the fire started as a result of an electrical overload in the bedroom. Firefighters responded to the call at 1:40 p.m., and were clear of the scene at 3 p.m.

No firefighters or residents were injured in the fire and no one was home at the time, Watkins said.

18329804