Tony Reed
Del Norte Triplicate

Police are continuing to investigate whether a shooting incident Saturday was a case of self defense or retaliation following a report that a woman had been struck in the face by her husband.

At about 8:45 p.m., officers were dispatched to a home in the 100 block of West 4th Street.

“The caller reported that her husband attacked her and punched her in the face,” a release said Monday morning. “Upon their arrival, officers observed a female who sustained injuries to her face and a male laying on the floor in the residents with gunshot wounds. Officers rendered aid, while waiting for medical units to arrive.”

Officers arrested Tasha Henderson, 46, of Ontario, California. She was booked into jail for assault with a firearm, inflicting injury on a spouse or cohabitant and attempted murder.

According to the release, officers’ investigations revealed that an altercation between the two led to the shooting.

“Both injured parties were transported to Sutter Coast Hospital for medical care,” the CCPD release stated. “The male victim was taken into surgery.”

Officers from California Highway Patrol and Del Norte County Sheriff’s Office also responded to the initial call, along with Crescent City Fire and Rescue and medical personnel.

Other details

Asked why she was arrested for attempted murder rather than released for reasons of self defense, CCPD Chief Ivan Minsal said there were more factors to consider. Minsal could not comment further on the investigation, only saying that “it’s complicated.”

In response to an inquiry, Minsal disclosed that Henderson’s father is a retired Los Angeles detective, who he knew from that department when he worked there.

“We worked in the same division and for a short time together,” he said. “That was 25 years ago. We had the same boss, but I did not report to him.

Minsal said it was coincidental that the retired detective was in Crescent City recently and that the two were able to speak with each other.

“There is no conflict of interest, and I have made that firewall,” Minsal said. “This is just business. We’re both professionals who have a duty. I told him that we have a job to do and he concurred.”

Minsal didn’t give the name of the husband or disclose further, but when asked, confirmed that the husband is an off-duty police officer, not affiliated with Crescent City Police Department.

His condition was not known as of press time.

Henderson was released on $250,000 bail Sunday and has a court date set for Aug. 7.