Tony Reed
Del Norte Triplicate

Two local shooting cases are being dealt with differently by prosecutors.

District Attorney Katherine Micks says she reviewed and rejected charges sought against Tasha Henderson, 46, who was arrested and released on bail after allegedly shooting her husband July 6 inside a Crescent City home.

According to a Crescent City Police release at the time, a caller reported her husband had attacked her and punched her in the face.

“Upon arrival, officers observed a female who sustained injuries to her face and a male lying on the floor in the residence with gunshot wounds,” the release said.

The male subject was taken into surgery at Sutter Coast Hospital.

“Based on all the evidence and the facts presented by Crescent City Police Department, it’s clear I would not be able to prove guilt beyond a reasonable doubt,” Micks said.

Micks noted it was expected Henderson would argue in court that she acted out of fear for her own safety, which would be difficult to disprove in a court of law. Charges against Henderson were dropped in October.

Gunfire exchange

A woman who reportedly shot at police officers in October 2017 in a Crescent City mobile home park is set for trial April 8.

According to Del Norte County Sheriff’s Office reports, Georgie Jackson, 45, was transported to the hospital after engaging in a gunfire exchange with deputies and a California Highway Patrol officer.

Officers were investigating a report that a woman had threatened to kill another subject at another location earlier that day.

Sheriff’s reports said Jackson was holding a gun to her own head when approached by officers but she then turned it to fire at them. Officers returned fire, hitting her several times, according to reports.

Jackson was charged with shooting at an occupied dwelling, attempted murder and assault on an officer with a firearm.

Jackson was taken to a hospital in Redding and remained there for several weeks.

Upon her release from the hospital, she was taken to Del Norte County Jail but was released after a few days because jail staff could not provide the medical attention she needed. Jackson was released into the care of Sutter Coast Hospital, said sheriff’s reports.

The incident was investigated by a special team from CHP.