Do you have a library card? Even though the Del Norte County Library is closed, we are still offering services and this is one of them. No matter how old or young you are, you can benefit from our free resources, media and books. Your first library card at the library is free if you are a resident of Del Norte County with a permanent local address.
Give us a call at (707) 464-9794 and our staff will assist you in the process. You will be asked to complete an application and present verifications. A parent or legal guardian must sign the application for anyone under the age of 14. You will need a valid ID with your photo. You may use a driver's license, ID card or a student ID. Provide proof of your Del Norte County address (a P. O. Box is acceptable, however general delivery is not accepted). You must have one of the following with your current address: a valid California driver's license, a valid California ID card, printed checks, rent receipt or utility bill or any mail that you have received with your name and current address.
When you sign a library card application, you are agreeing to return borrowed materials on time and to be responsible for any lost or damaged materials. If you are a non-resident, you may receive a limited use library card.
Your library card brings you many benefits:
- Free use of books, videos, DVDs, audio books, music CDs, magazines and online resources.
- Your card is valid at the Crescent City branch and the Smith River branch libraries. You may also use your library card at all libraries in the North State Library Cooperative System. These libraries include Humboldt County, Butte County, Lassen District Library, Modoc County, Orland Free Library, Plumas County, Shasta Public Libraries, Siskiyou County, Tehama County, Trinity County and Willows Public Library.
- · Use your card to check your library record, see when your materials are due, place holds and renew materials online.
- · Free online access to selected databases that would otherwise charge a fee for use. Our list includes health, car repair, magazine articles, encyclopedias, test practice, homework information and much more. If you have internet at home, you can access this information when the library is closed using your library card number.
- · Books delivered with your library card through our Zip books grant program.
- Your library card is permanent but your contact information must be updated yearly.
If your library card is ever lost or stolen, we ask that you notify us as soon as possible. There is a $3 fee if you would like a replacement library card.
Easy Access Library Cards are available to patrons who have picture ID and cannot provide address verification. Patrons with this type of card may use the computers, chrome books, and other library services. Three physical items may be checked out instead of the twenty a full service library card will allow. If you do not have a photo ID, then a photo can be kept on file for your verification.
Once you get your card you must have it with you in order to check out library materials.