Art that’s abstract, beachy, even mousey
The Brookings Second Saturday Art Walk will offer visitors all kinds of art, music and special events from 3-6 p.m. Sept. 14 right in downtown Brookings.
Special events begin at 4:00 at the PBAA/Manley Art Center, with an interview of featured artist Georgia Cockerham. The gallery theme this month is “Fluid.”
Then, it’s the Brian Scott Gallery at 4:45, where Judith Falconer will discuss how and why she produces her paintings based on birds and other creatures living in and around water.
Before, during and after these two special events, Ambiance by the Sea will be celebrating a “Surf’s Up” theme with music, refreshments and beach-themed art by Dale Wells and others.
And at the Chetco Community Public Library, artists Dusanka Kralj, Thomas Sheets and Phillip Wadsworth will exhibit their versions of “Abstraction,” while the library’s lobby showcase will display Carolyn Milliman’s Mickey and Minnie Mouse collection.
Most sites will provide free refreshments and live music in various musical styles. There are no admission charges, no obligation to buy.
Many of Brookings’ downtown merchants stay open and welcome visitors during the art walk.
1. Ambiance by the Sea, 530 Hemlock St., 541-254-4097. Will celebrate a “Surf’s Up” theme with featured art by Dale Wells and others, recorded Beach Boys music, and live music by Matt Stump and Teal Mace.
2. Brian Scott Gallery and Signatures, 515 Chetco Ave., 541-412-8687. Special Event: 4:45 p.m., interview with featured artist Judith Falconer, painter of fish and birds. This multi-level gallery also includes Signatures, a gallery within the gallery. Live music by Lon Goddard.
3. Chetco Community Public Library, 405 Alder St., 541-469-7738. Library Meeting Room offers “Abstraction,” art by Dusanka Kralj, Thomas Sheets and Phillip Wadsworth. In the lobby, the showcase features Carolyn Milliman’s collection of Mickey and Minnie Mouse items.
4. Chet’s Garden Center, 301 Oak St., 541-813-2312. Maryjane Carlson’s Whistling Fish Pottery is featured. And this untypical garden store offers more plant-themed indoor and outdoor art, in addition to actual plants and flowers. Music by Crosswinds (Elle, Paul, Sally).
5. Forecastle Books, 547 Chetco Ave., 541-813-2665. Wood creations by Randy Pearson will be featured; books, too. Also wine tasting and tapas from Great American Smokehouse. Music by Billie Ruth Furuichi.
6. PBAA/Manley Art Center, 433 Oak St., 541-469-1807. Special Event: 4 p.m., interview with featured artist Georgia Cockerham. Gallery theme is “Fluid.” Classroom has art, too, and hosts Chetco Photographers, Tuesday Painters, Life Drawing, Mudslingers, Fiber Arts, and more. Music by Robert Kosslyn.
7. Semi Aquatic Gallery, 654 Chetco Ave., 503-451-3775. Features original paintings and limited-edition prints of gallery owner Spencer Reynolds, as well as art by others. Music by Ken Dobberpuhl.
8. Wright’s Fog and Fine Art Gallery, 810 Chetco Ave., 541-469-7900. Featured artist is mixed-media painter Peggy Roy. Gallery has art by 35 others—jewelry to oil and watercolor paintings—also art supplies, framing services, and art classes Wednesdays and Fridays. Music by Sharon Guinn.