The Area 1 Agency on Aging (A1AA) staff are working remotely for the foreseeable future, to limit the spread of the COVID-19 virus. A1AA is working with the California Department of Aging to expedite emergency federal funds to provide food for isolated and at-risk older adults in Humboldt and Del Norte counties.
Their staff will not be taking any in-person meetings. Most A1AA activities have been suspended or severely reduced. Limited staff and volunteers are assisting with getting groceries directly to our most isolated clients.
For more information, contact these specific helplines:
· Senior Information & Assistance for general questions regarding local resources. (707) 442-3763, ext. 223.
· Volunteer Driver Program (VDP) is providing limited medical rides to specific clients only.
· Grocery and Pharmacy Assistance. A1AA is providing limited shopping services to current VDP clients.
· HICAP: (707) 444-3000 or (800) 434-0222, Call for telephone
appointment only. A1AA can set up appointments via zoom or other methods.
· Long Term Care Ombudsman – Is no longer making regular visits but can visit under certain circumstances. Call (707) 269-1330.
· Northcoast Homeshare: All in-person interviews are on hold but applications are still being processed.
· SAIL exercise classes have been canceled until further notice.
Attendees (and others) can watch the YouTube video from home. The title is “Fall Prevention Exercise Program 2016 with Phoebe.”
A1AA encourages people to reach out to their older and disabled friends and neighbors to see if they need assistance with grocery and other needs. Make regular phone calls to check in to see how they are doing.
Cash donations to help purchase non-food household supplies A1AA can distribute to isolated seniors are appreciated.