RV suspect

Daniel John Anderson

An Oregon man faces criminal charges after investigators said he led them on a two-state, high-speed pursuit that began near Port Orford and ended in Crescent City. 

According to the Oregon State Police, the incident began about 6:15 p.m. Sept. 5, along U.S. Highway 101 near Humbug State Park, when law-enforcement officers encountered a woman apparently in distress. 

A male operating a motorhome left that scene traveling southbound as the female was being offered assistance. 

The motorhome later was seen on Highway 101 near Brookings, where officers attempted to stop it for a traffic violation. The large RV refused to yield and was pursued as it fled further south along Highway 101 and into Del Norte County.

California Highway Patrol and Del Norte County Sheriff’s Office personnel joined in the chase, but reportedly fell back because of the RV driver’s reckless driving. 

Sgt. Edward Wilson, Crescent City’s acting chief of police, said a spike strip was deployed within the city limits that slowed the vehicle somewhat. A Crescent City police officer subsequently attempted to force the RV to the side of the road, then continued the pursuit. 

Meanwhile, another officer raced ahead to warn motorists that a dangerous pursuit was coming. “One driver was unable to pull away, and the suspect ended up ramming a Tesla from behind,” Wilson said. “The victim was not injured and the car suffered mild to moderate damage.” 

The suspect, later described as Danniel John Anderson, 37, of Woodburn, drove down 9th Street in Crescent City to Pebble Beach, then on 5th Street to a dead end, where he attempted to make a U-turn in the 500 block of M Street but became stuck in the sand, Wilson said. 

Cmdr. Bill Steven of the Del Norte County Sheriff’s Office said that although sheriff’s deputies were involved in the pursuit, Crescent City police officers were given the lead in making the arrest. 

Anderson was held for suspicion of driving under the influence of drugs, evading police/causing injury, assault with a deadly weapon, hit and run, and using or under the influence of a controlled substance. 

Anderson was booked in the Crescent City Jail and held on $75,000 bail. 

“It was a pretty unusual pursuit,” Wilson said. “Most people don’t try to flee in motorhomes. 

“He was driving pretty recklessly. That’s why we backed off the initial pursuit,” said Wilson. “But once he hit the spike strips, it was mostly a slower pursuit through the city.” 

Investigators identified the female victim encountered in Oregon as Jessica Lynn Cannon, 34. Her address was not listed in the Oregon State Police report, although it did say she was the owner of the RV. 


Online Poll

Which season change is your favorite?

You voted:

Latest E-Edition

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.