Redwood National and State Parks is seeking enthusiastic local youth aged 15 to 18 to apply for Youth Conservation Corps jobs this summer. This highly successful program offers local teens a chance to participate in conservation work throughout Redwood National and State Parks.
This year’s eight-week program begins on June 26th and ends on August 18th. A total of 10 enrollees, five young men and five young women will be selected from Humboldt and Del Norte counties at a public drawing.
Participants will be paid the California minimum wage of $15.50 per hour for a 40-hour work week, M – F, 7:00 AM to 3:30 PM. All participants must bring their own lunch and provide their own transportation to and from either the parks’ headquarters building in Crescent City or the National Park Service’s Arcata office. Housing is not available.
Specific work projects include construction & maintenance of trails and bridges; invasive vegetation species removal; maintenance around historic structures; assisting the prescribed burn program and wildlife biologists.
Participants will be required to do hard physical work, hike long distances, and may be exposed to insects, poison oak, adverse weather, and difficult working conditions. Natural and cultural resource education is incorporated into the eight-week program. No prior experience is needed, just an eagerness and willingness to make a difference and try your best.
To apply, interested youth meeting the qualifications should go to the Redwood National & States Parks website at www.nps.gov/redw . Enter “YCC” into the search bar and select “This Site”, to access information, instructions for applying and the application for our local YCC program.
The YCC application form and information may also be available at local high schools in Del Norte and northern Humboldt counties. All applications must be completed and received by email or post-marked by April 30th, 2023. Applicants will be selected on a random basis during the first week in May and will be notified of selection.
For more information about the program or to how receive an application, contact RNSP YCC Program Lead, Brittney McGuire (707) 465-7724 or Brittney_Mcguire@nps.gov
Welcome to the discussion.
1. Be Civil. No bullying, name calling, or insults.
2. Keep it Clean and Be Nice. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
3. Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
4. Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
5. Be Proactive. Let us know of abusive posts. Multiple reports will take a comment offline.
6. Stay On Topic. Any comment that is not related to the original post will be deleted.
7. Abuse of these rules will result in the thread being disabled, comments denied, and/or user blocked.
8. PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.