A fire Thursday evening at the Addie Meedom House prompted the evacuation of its 37 occupants.
Crescent City Fire & Rescue was dispatched at 6:09 p.m. to the structure at 1445 Parkway Dr. in Crescent City, which is an assisted-living and memory-care facility. The Pelican Bay State Prison Fire Department responded as well.
Fire units arrived to find the facility’s staff removing residents to the front porch of the building. Fire personnel entered the building to locate the fire as the staff continued the evacuation.
Three occupants and one staff member were transported by Del Norte Ambulance to Sutter Coast Hospital for treatment of smoke inhalation.
The fire was located in a unit to the rear of the facility, with smoke in the hallway. Firefighters opened a room door to find smoke within two feet of the floor, along with a smoldering pillow. Staff members had used a fire extinguisher to control the fire, but the pillow was still burning.
Officials said the fire resulted from the pillow accidentally coming into contact with a wall heater.
With heavy smoke in the room and hallway, firefighters began venting the smoke from the building.
Buses were requested from Del Norte Unified School District and Redwood Coast Transit to transport the remaining occupants from the facility to a temporary shelter arranged through the Del Norte Office of Emergency Services and the American Red Cross.
The Del Norte County Sheriff and Crescent City Police departments assisted with patient loading, then with transporting food, water and other items to the temporary shelter.
Crescent City Fire & Rescue departed the scene at 8:20 p.m.
Addie Meedom House staff were working with a local cleanup contractor to get the facility back in service as rapidly as possible, perhaps as early as noon Friday, according to executive director Jennifer Collins.