The College of the Redwoods Men’s Basketball team has secured its third straight Golden Valley Conference title after a win against Butte College on Saturday.
Not only was a third straight GVC title the first time in CR program history, but it was the first time any of the conference teams has done so in 44 years.
“This special group of student-athletes have represented our institution and community with passion, poise, humility, and great skill,” said CR Men’s Basketball Coach Ryan Bisio. “They have honored all the Corsairs who came before them by challenging themselves to create their own special place in program history. As coaches, we couldn’t possibly be prouder of our young men, and we’re inspired to support them as they try to write a storybook ending to this historic season together.”
The CR Men’s Basketball record is now 24-3 on the season, which ties the 1976/77 Redwoods team for the most wins in program history, a mark they still have time to break.
The team has risen to No. 11 in the state, the highest ranking ever for the CR Men’s Basketball program. They will close out the season at home on Friday at 5 p.m. against Feather River, the only team to have beaten CR in conference play this season.
“Our athletic department could not be prouder of this special group of young men and the coaching staff with this historic accomplishment not only for CR but in the entire Golden Valley Conference,” said CR Athletic Director Bob Brown. “Having this only being accomplished one other time in Conference history really is a statement that in many ways is unprecedented and shows how difficult it is to do. Hopefully, this accomplishment along with what football, cross country and the strong start our spring sport athletic teams are off to continues to translate to our local athletes that CR really can be a destination where you can be successful both academically and athletically.”
Welcome to the discussion.
1. Be Civil. No bullying, name calling, or insults.
2. Keep it Clean and Be Nice. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
3. Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
4. Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
5. Be Proactive. Let us know of abusive posts. Multiple reports will take a comment offline.
6. Stay On Topic. Any comment that is not related to the original post will be deleted.
7. Abuse of these rules will result in the thread being disabled, comments denied, and/or user blocked.
8. PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.